Wednesday 4 May 2016

The Silent Treatment


I used to avoid silence, I felt uncomfortable in it. Maybe because it meant I was alone for that moment or because it allowed my own thoughts to be louder- which almost always meant I criticized every part of my life! Now though, I often crave silence throughout my day and seek it when I can. Usually through quiet lunches or dog walks in the woods, I'm really beginning to explore my introverted side which I used to try and ignore. Enjoying silence or my own company doesn't mean I don't enjoy the company of others and I certainly could not cope without the companionship of my friends and family!! But it means I can recover and recharge during busy, stressful days and hear my quiet, happy thoughts that get lost in the bustle of the day. I don't know how this change happened, but it was gradual. The more I experienced silence, the more I used it - to train my mind to focus on what was around me at that moment or what I could be grateful for right there. I think sometimes we confuse silence and just sitting as procrastination but now I think it actually helps me to be more productive.
a.g.f

No comments:

Post a Comment