Friday 28 August 2015

BOOK CLUB: The Power of Now


The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

I came across this book as I saw a lot of yogi's and spiritual people that I follow quote Eckhart Tolle on Instagram. After more research on the book I found it was a bestseller and popular among well know people such as the one and only... Oprah Winfrey. If you need any more reason than Oprah to read this book then I've listed my favourite points below:

+ techniques suggested are simple and can be used by anyone
+ I found the techniques were slightly effective almost straight away
+ the book showed a very different way to use your thoughts and to see life

However it wasn't perfect:

- sometimes it may take a few reads of a section to fully understand and allow it to sink in
- as the book has no story, it's hard to read for long periods of time

Although my life situation hasn't changed much since I started reading a few months ago, I have definitely started to see a change in the way I approach life and situations. I feel much more positive and less fearful of what is to come and I can appreciate the smaller, everyday things.

A piece of advice I would give is to read with an open mind and not to take each point as absolute fact. Some things I naturally agreed with but others I was more sceptical on. This book might not be for you at all, especially if you're not spiritual in the slightest or if you're completely content with your outlook on life. BUT I think everyone could take at least one positive from this read.

No comments:

Post a Comment